Gidget is best known for her passion for surfing, but she also had a creativity for fashion. From bathing suits to party dresses and ribbons on classic hairstyles, Gidget’s style is a 1960s dream. To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the TV show, I chose the eight most memorable styles worn by Sally Field in the series to inspire you. Did your favorite make the list?
1. In the first episode, “Dear Diary et al,” Gidget wears a one-piece, seafoam blue suit with her iconic pigtails and bangs.
2. “In God, & Nobody Else, We Trust,” Gidget wears a yellow shift dress with a Peter Pan collar. The pink lining matches her bow, blush and lip color. She wears the same dress in “Ego a Go Go” and “The Great Kahuna.” Guess it even was Sally Field’s favorite dress.
3. Gidget is fond of light blue swimsuits as we see in “Gidget’s Career.” This time, it is a patterned two-piece bikini to allow more sun exposure while her hair is up in a ribboned ponytail. Her makeup, if she wears any at all, consists of mascara, blush and lipstick.
4. If it gets chilly after surfing, throw on a windbreaker or a sweater. Don’t forget your groovy sunglasses and a cute boy to talk to as long as he doesn’t turn out to be your teacher! Episode: “I love you, I love you, I love you, I think.”
5. “Bonjour, mes amis,” Gidget said. That’s “hello friends“ in French. Why the Parisian hint? In “Is it Love, or Symbiosis,“ Gidget may be sent to Paris in order to let her father gain freedom, according to her psychologist brother-in-law John. Gidget poses in blue, pattern stockings that contrast her two-piece suit, flats and purse. The blue and red are the French flag colors and are coordinated with a Beret.
6. I know what you’re thinking, “this made the list of best styles?” Yes, it did and let me tell you why. The shirt is a 1960s beach classic. Its white and yellow stripes scream California sun. The oil on the shirt is from Gidget’s attempt to fix cars to prove she can buy her own car (a hearse). She proves girls can look good even if they get messy while trying to be one of the boys. Episode: “A Hearse, a Hearse, My Kingdom for a Hearse.”
7. It’s never cold in California, right? Unless you live in the state, you know the contrary. Gidget knows that a ’60s fuzzy sweater and Moondoggie’s ring around her neck will keep her warm. The flip hairstyle is a plus!
8. If you’re just talking to your best friend on the phone, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be stylish, yet comfortable. Gidget wears a classic striped shirt, pants, Keds and her hair set in rolls to create her iconic hairstyles.
Which outfit is your favorite?